Historical Notes

Borghetto was first settled during the Lombard period,the 7th and 8th centuries A.D. , although more ancient origins date back to the bronze age.

Borghetto, which means “fortified settlement”, continues to be a splendid medieval burgh on the shores of the Mincio river: a handful of homes on water, dominated by the Visconti Bridge, an extraordinary fortified dam, and by the Scaliger Castle.

The ancient mills use to grind wheat and rice continue to be part of the burgh’s landscape together with an ancient wall-enclosed palace and a church dated 1759, rebuilt on an ancient Romanesque chapel of which two precious fifteenth century frescos remain.

Borghetto, Via Buonarotti 12, 37067 Valeggio sul Mincio
Phone: +39 0457950059 - Fax: +39 0456370455 - E-mail: anticalocandamincio@libero.it
Weekly closure: on Wednesdays and Thursdays.